Remember the last scene of the famous Bollywood blockbuster ‘3 Idiots’? Yes, we are talking about Pangong Lake. Located at a height of 4,350 m, Pangong Tso lake is the world's most noteworthy saltwater lake. Its waters, which appear to be colored in blue, stand in stark contrast to the arid mountains encompassing it. It is a standout amongst the most well-known lakes in Leh Ladakh, getting its name from the Tibetan word, "Pangong Tso", which signifies "high grassland lake". You could invest hours in thought here, and still not have enough of its excellence. Pangong Lake is likewise known to change hues, seeming blue, green and red under various circumstances. On the off chance that you have chosen to go on an outing to Ladakh at any point in the near future, keep in mind to visit the Pangong Lake. The excellence which anticipates you there can't be portrayed in words. It must be seen, felt and retained inside yourself.
Things to do at Pangong Tso Lake1. Camp Stay
What could be better than camp stay beside the serene Pangong Tso Lake with bonfire and barbecue? Nothing!! Though, Homestay choice is additionally accessible here. But we would suggest camp stay as it has its own appeal. Agreed?2. Photo Session Mode On
Regardless of whether you are not an expert photographer or don't have a fantastic camera, simply take the greatest number of pictures, selfies as you can from your ordinary camera. This place is beautiful to the point that even arbitrary snaps will look beautiful. If you get your own vehicle, stop your vehicle close to the lake where you can click some great pictures as a return ticket to moments you spend during Ladakh trip. Trust us, you will going to miss Pangong lake most.3. Say Hello To Marmots
Pin up to stop 20 km before you reach Pangong Tso Lake where you get to witness rare endemic species of Marmot. These small but beautiful creatures usually come out of their potholes during the day. The signboard stating' Stop here to see rare endemic species Marmot' will be your halt point. Just be patient and you'll get say hello to this beautiful creature.
Did you know that out of the 14 remaining species of marmots, only two – long-tailed marmot and the Himalayan marmot- are found in India.4. Bird Watching
Pangong lake is a birder's heaven as well. Fowl species like Bar-headed goose and Brahmini ducks walk around the lake when the climate conditions are ideal. It's a treat to watch them rush around the lake with crude mountains making the ideal edge. That is picture flawless, isn't that so?5. Visit Spangmik Village
Situated around 7 kilometers along the southern shores, it is the most distant village of Pangong region. From here, one can appreciate fabulous perspectives of the Chang-Chenmo range mountains.
How to reach Pangong Tso lake?Pangong Lake from Leh via Changla Pass
From Leh, Pangong lake is around 160 Km and the course goes through world's third most astounding motorable pass 'Changla Pass'.You can cover the religious monasteries Thicksey, Hemis and Shey while experiencing this course.Pangong Lake from Nubra Valley
There are two courses that you can take on the off chance that you need to reach Pangong Lake from Nubra Valley.
- One of the courses will take you past Wari La, a high-elevation pass situated at an altitude of just about 17,400ft.
- The other course will give you a chance to move along the Shyok River. One favorable position of taking these courses is that you don't need to come back to Leh from Nubra Valley, along these lines sparing a day in your outing.
Where to stay at Pangong Tso lake?1. Royal Camp
A serene oasis of beauty and tranquility, the Camp is set amidst the quiet and peaceful environment in Spangmik village at an altitude of 4200mtrs above the sea level and 150 km from Leh.2. Pangong Retreat
Pangong Retreat is set amidst the serene beauty of naked mountains, exotic Pangong Lake and the beautiful Spangmik village which lies on a narrow stretch of land along the lake. The retreat stands slightly on a higher level facing the ravishing lake giving you a wonderful picturesque of the lake3. Peacefull Homestay Merak
Peacefull Homestay Merak has all the basic amenities which can available at such a remote but beautiful location. From here you can enjoy the panoramic view of surrounding hills and entire lake.
Best Time To Visit Pangong Lake
The best time to visit Ladakh is from May to September as during winter, the Pangong Tso lake is frozen.
Basic tips and suggestions:
1. Altitude sickness can be a problem. Counteract it by taking a day's rest to get acclimatized.
2. Carrying sunscreen, moisturizer, heavy woolen garments, sunglasses are a must.
3. Carrying a medical aid kit is very important because AMS is a common phenomenon.
4. Don't forget to carry the permit and other documents with you all times and do keep few copies of all documents with you too.
5. Help to keep the lake area clean by not littering packets and wrappers anywhere.
6. Drive well within speed limits, the roads are too treacherous to handle.
7. What you will find are small shacks in the villages that offer Maggi, hot soup and other stuff. It’s better if you carry dry fruits and biscuits with you.,